Our mission is to support parents and provide them with the insights and skills they need to listen to and connect with their children in a way that allows each child to thrive.
Our vision is a world that supports the difficult work of parenting and fosters meaningful personal connections to move us toward a sustainable and peaceful world.
At Hand in Hand, we heal society one family, one community at a time.
Our Core Beliefs
- Children are born to feel close and connected to their parents. When they have that warm physical and emotional bond, children thrive. Research shows that securely attached children learn more readily, build friendships more easily, and develop sound judgment over time.
- Parents want to be close to their children. They want to help their children learn, love their children fully, and see their children thrive.
- Parenting isn’t easy. Parents juggle multiple roles and considerable stress. They need and deserve good support for their vital work.
- With genuine support, parents can strengthen their connection with their children, and can repair it when stress has interfered.
- Feeling disconnected or stressed causes children’s behavior to flare. When parents can reconnect through limits and listening, children instinctively offload their negative feelings and regain their sense of connection and their better judgment.
- Feeling isolated or stressed causes parents’ behavior to flare. Regular access to a supportive listener who offers warmth and full respect makes a powerful difference. A good listener can reduce a parent’s sense of isolation, relieve stress, and improve a parent’s resilience.
- Listening, parent-to-parent and parent-to-child, is the key strategy for building connection. Listening conveys respect, and, over time, makes it safe enough to dissolve the emotional tension that disrupts caring relationships.
- When parents connect with one another they build a support system that helps them solve problems, enjoy parenting, and engage in their communities. As agents of positive change, they inspire those around them.
- Supporting connected parenting is a direct and powerful way to reduce all kinds of hurt and harm in the lives of individuals, families, and communities.