HAND IN HAND PARENTING
Hand in Hand Parenting seeks an Executive Director who will expand on the organization’s successes to grow its presence and impact around the world. This entrepreneurial leader will be committed to collaborating with the Board, staff and volunteers to change the world by reaching and helping more parents and families.
Download PDF (Coming soon!)
ABOUT HAND IN HAND PARENTING
The mission of Hand in Hand Parenting is to support parents with the insights, skills and tools necessary to build the meaningful connections that parents and children need to thrive. The organization is dedicated to transforming the parenting experience by providing support, resources, and training to families from all backgrounds and economic circumstances. For more than 25 years, the organization’s cutting-edge-yet-adaptable approach has given parents practical tools to resolve universal family challenges. This approach relies on a philosophy centered on children’s strong, innate desire to love and be loved. Its fresh and effective framework, which includes an emphasis on getting parents the support they need, is consistent with the latest research and results in long-term family success.
Research shows that the one “super-protective factor” that keeps adolescents from falling into drug use, tobacco use, early unwanted pregnancies, violence, and dropping out of school is a sense of warm connection with at least one parent. Hand in Hand teaches parents how to build and repair that sense of connection in childhood, and gives parents the support tools to do so. In surveys of 377 respondents who took Hand in Hand’s 6-week course in English or in Spanish, 96% rated the value of the course as “great” or “very great.” When asked whether the course had helped them understand their children’s emotional needs better, 79% said, “Yes, it helped a lot.”
Located in Palo Alto, CA, Hand in Hand Parenting serves families throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, across the U.S and globally. The organization has a staff of seven highly committed, talented individuals, over 70 contract teachers, and more than 20 active volunteers.
For more information about the organization and its programs, please visit www.handinhandparenting.org.
Hand in Hand Parenting is experiencing unprecedented programmatic growth. Since 2012, the organization has gone from 30,000 web site visits a month to 200,000 visits a month, released a book about the approach, and trained well over 60 new instructors.
In 2014, Hand in Hand served 5,500 parents directly. In 2015, they served 20,000 parents. In 2016 they served 30,000 parents and remain on track to meet their goal of 50,000 parents served in 2018. In 2014, their total year-end income was $815K; by 2016, it was over $1 million. In 2016, Hand in Hand published Listen: Five Simple Tools for Meeting Your Everyday Parenting Challenges, by Patty Wipfler and Tosha Schore, M.A.; which has sparked further interest in their classes, talks, and trainings.
The organization is seeking an innovative, experienced, energetic, and visionary Executive Director to lead the organization into its next chapter. The Board seeks a passionate and dedicated leader who embodies and communicates the organization’s mission and has the experience to grow Hand in Hand’s reach and impact.
Hand in Hand has a dedicated and talented staff of seven, including a seasoned Director of Operations and Finance, a strong Program Director, and a creative Director of Communications and Marketing. The organization has an active and committed Board of Directors, and offers the opportunity to make a transformative difference in the lives of millions of families.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have primary responsibility for all aspects of organizational leadership, with a strong focus on board development and fundraising through a combination of earned income revenue streams and expanding support from more traditional philanthropic sources. Specific metrics will be tied to cultivation and solicitation of individual donors, and developing strong and lasting relationships for the organization.
Specifically, the Executive Director will lead the following areas:
- In collaboration with the Board, continue implementation of the current strategic plan and facilitate a strategic planning process to develop ambitious goals for the organization for 2019-2021.
- Support the execution of the strategic plan by creating an annual work plan and working with the Director of Operations to create a corresponding budget for Board review and adoption.
- Facilitate the Board’s fulfillment of its governance responsibilities, including board-meeting agenda setting, fundraising on behalf of the organization, and identifying new Board members.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in various fields affecting the work of Hand in Hand Parenting.
- Work with staff to identify opportunities for establishing new programs, events, and locations to expand the organization’s reach.
- Provide timely and meaningful information to the Board of Directors to support the decisions made on behalf of the organization.
Earned Income Generation/Donor Relationship Management
- Seek opportunities to grow earned income revenue streams through existing and new services, programs and events.
- Identify and cultivate relationships with foundation, government, corporate and individual donors to develop a strong fundraising pipeline and donor base.
- Build a strong culture of philanthropy within the organization, in which Board and staff serve as ambassadors and engage in relationship building. Build systems and events to support and inform donors.
- Oversee human resources, including recruiting, hiring, performance management and professional development, and compliance.
- With employees, define organizational and staff goals and performance expectations, provide guidance, and conduct regular performance evaluations.
- Ensure that the organization operates in compliance with all statutes governing a 501(c)(3) organization, including appropriate insurance coverage.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors, ensure overall financial sustainability and short and long term fiscal health.
- Oversee internal accounting controls and financial practices to ensure fiscally sound and accurate accounting, record keeping, and reporting systems.
- Provide strong fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintains a positive financial position.
Relationship Management/Community Building
- Serve as the chief spokesperson for Hand in Hand Parenting and advocate for its mission and goals.
- Oversee communication of the organization’s vision of positive social change through supported and informed parenting to the public, prospective donors, and Hand in Hand Parenting supporters and community.
- Explore and build relationships with public, private, and nonprofit stakeholders to realize new partnerships.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate will have:
- Openness to learning about the Hand in Hand Parenting philosophy and practices and commitment to continuous learning and growth.
- Significant professional experience, with senior leadership experience in a business or nonprofit, including strategic planning and implementation in a growth-oriented environment.
- Success in developing innovative solutions through creative thinking and out-of-the box thinking.
- Demonstrated success serving as an energetic, collaborative, and persuasive external face of the organization and increasing the visibility of an organization.
- Success in creating financial sustainability by generating revenue from programs as well as building a strong and diversified donor base of $1M or more annually.
- Strong financial and operational management experience, including budgeting, forecasting, facilities, and HR management.
- Proven communication skills, including speaking and writing.
- Excellent meeting facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Demonstrated success building strong partnerships externally and internally.
- Ability to balance the desire for collaboration with the need for efficient and effective business practices.
- Ability to maximize the effective use of technology and experience with a variety of software programs such as Microsoft Office suite, accounting software (QuickBooks), and data base programs. Macintosh work environment.
- Master’s degree in public or business administration or equivalent work experience in a social enterprise.
The successful candidate will have:
- Vision and ability to lead consensus-driven strategy. The Executive Director will need to have the ability to lead and influence board and staff, exhibit transparency and openness, and take decisive action when consensus cannot be reached.
- An entrepreneurial spirit—a passion for making things happen, a belief that anything is possible, and the ability to get it done.
- An ability to listen with compassion and without judgment, and a desire to seek understanding through listening and dialogue.
- An abiding passion for creating positive change in the world.
- Willingness to break free from established structures and try new approaches to solving problems.
- Ability to share responsibility for leadership of the organization and partner with the Board to set goals, track progress and assess effectiveness of the organization in meeting the mission.
- The ability to quickly assess and make recommendations on emergent opportunities and challenges, working in both the strategic and analytical frames.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence and self-awareness.
- Approachable demeanor and an ability to balance an informal work culture with expectations for the highest levels of quality and professionalism.
- At home in an entrepreneurial environment, with the skills to build both philanthropic support and a fee-for-services base for Hand in Hand’s expansion and rise as a thought-leader in the conscious parenting field.
Hand in Hand Parenting is an equal opportunity employer that embraces a diverse, multicultural work environment. People of all ethnic backgrounds, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
To obtain additional information, send nominations, or to apply, please contact Paul Spivey of Phillips Oppenheim.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and salary history and be sure to include “Hand in Hand Parenting Executive Director” in the subject line.